Cold War Energy Workers

Unbiased Assistance and Support

Links to web sites with International Minerals and Chemicals related information

International Minerals and Chemical Corp.

Also Known As: Pilot Facility
Also Known As: Uranium Recovery Unit at the Bonnie Plant
Also Known As: Phosphate Chemicals Div., Bonnie Uranium Plant
Also Known As: C.F. Industries, Inc.
State: Florida     Location: Mulberry
Time Period: AWE 1951-1961; Residual Radiation 1962-1977    
Facility Type:   Atomic Weapons Employer   

Facility Description: International Minerals and Chemical Corp. produced uranium as a byproduct of the recovery of phosphate chemicals and fertilizers. The 1951, AEC contracted with International Minerals and Chemical Corp. for the recovery of uranium, which was ultimately used for the production of weapons. The original production plant was shut down in 1959. Starting in 1954, the uranium recovery unit was located at the Bonnie Plant. In 1955, it switched to the phosphoric acid process. International Minerals and Chemical Corp. became Central Farmers (now C.F.) Industries; in 1969, C.F. Industries became C.F. Chemicals, Bartow Phosphate Works. The phosphoric process was shut down in 1961.

During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.